Gold Maestro Motion Controller
Motion Control Products Ltd are pleased to announce the new 100-axis motion controller: the Gold Maestro, a multi-axis motion controller for any nachine with precise, fast and easy-to-use.
Elmo's Gold Maestro is a standalone network motion controller that provides real-time synchronisation for the most demanding systems, bringing your single and multi-axis equipment to the highest level of performance it can achieve, today and tomorrow. Inside each Gold Maestro controller are years of dedicated motion control engineering and applications experience, together with the industry's most advanced algorithms, distributed network intelligence, and proven machine flexibility.
The Gold Maestro motion controller adheres to EtherCAT and CANopen networking standards, enabling precise, multi-axis control with cost-effective integration. It enables fast implementations using standard programming environments like IEC 61131-3, PLCopen, .NET and Win32 C++. When coupled with Elmo's SimplIQ or Gold Line drives, our distributed motion control system is extremely efficient.
Gold Maestro Highlights
Unique Axis-Level Intelligence
- Advanced capabilities, including:
- Flying Vision with motion blending, superimposed motion and real-time updates of target positions
- Coordinated group motion, blending and transitions
- Polynomial motion segments, PVT and spline support
- Delta robot and kinematics
- 1D, 2D and 3D error correction
- Distributed intelligence splits motion tasks between the Gold Maestro and the servo drives, providing:
- Significant increase in the motion system's computation power and performance
- Faster and better motor control with greatly improved event response times
- More resources available for machine-level synchronized motion control
- Reduced communications overhead
- EtherCAT master for distributed networking, with distributed clock management
- CANopen master for distributed networking
- Host communications and protocols:
- Ethernet, TCP/IP, UDP (Fast Binary Protocols, Modbus, Ethernet/ IP), Telnet, FTP.
- USB 2.0
- Supported CANopen communication protocols: DS-301, DS-305, DS-401 (I/O Device Profile), DS-402
- Fieldbus communication via EtherCAT or CAN bus (isolated)
- Rich, high-level, multi-axis programming environment:
- Microsoft .NET
- IEC 61131-3, PLCopen
- Native C/C++ programming using the PLCopen for Motion API
- Win32 C/C++
- Network statistics for diagnostics
Fully dedicated to motion control, the Gold Maestro motion controller offers the most advanced, intelligent servo drive functionality available today. It executes demanding axis-level position, velocity, current and vector real-time control algorithms, coordinates local I/O sequences for any feedback, and supports a wide variety of special functions and features. The Gold Maestro provides an extremely high level of precision, unsurpassed operating speed and outstanding overall drive performance.
State-of-the-Art Solutions for Virtually Any Application
The Gold Maestro supervises and controls the operation of up to 100 axes with up to 16 axes in synchronised motion, providing cycle times as fast as 500 µs, with 1 µs accuracy for the overall System distributed clock. It streamlines programming for machine control and numeric control axis synchronization using IEC 61131-3 or C/C++, and provides by-the-book, ready-to-use APIs for PLCopen, EtherCAT and CANopen master functionality, as well as a wide selection of programme templates for common applications.
Gold Maestro Functionality
- Linux, with Elmo's RT extension for real-time motion control support
|Number of Axes
- Up to 100 axes, allowing the following types of motion:
mixed single axis, multi-axis
| Axis Types
- Intelligent servo drives support both the SimplIQ
and Gold Line product families.
- Operates in Numeric Control (NC, real-time master
synchronization) and non-NC modes.
- Standard DS 402 drives for CANopen, and DS 402 CoE
| Control System Update Rate and Jitter
- Cycle Update Rate: 500 µs (up to 16 axes can be
updated simultaneously at a rate of 500 µs).
- Drive Cycle Clock Jitter: < 1 µs, based on Master
Distributed Clock support, for the full network.
- Cycle Update Rate: 1 ms (CAN physical network
- Cycle Jitter: < 10 µs for CAN Sync message initiation (actual jitter dependent on the CAN networks physical limitations).
|Supported Motion Modes and Capabilities
- The Gold Maestro motion interfaces use the PLCopen
- 64 bit, real-time, double precision profile calculations,
allowing full on-the-fly control over speed, acceleration,
deceleration and jerk.
- Complex motion schemes, including look-ahead
optimizing of trajectory speed calculations for complex
- New kinematics and Delta Robot support, with linear, circle,
polynomial, table spline and table PVT; both axis (ACS) and
machine (MCS) limits handling.
o Additional Kinematic Transformation Function definitions
Full implementation of IEC
- Memory for 1,000 function blocks (a buffer for 1,000
motion segments). Beyond this the buffer is cyclic, so
there is no practical limit on the buffer size.
- Advanced support for administrative function blocks.
- Advanced position, velocity and time (PVT) modes and
capabilities, with up to 5th order interpolations for up to 16 axes.
- Real-time superimposed motion profiles, enabling target
position changes on-the-fly.
- Real-time position referencing of one axis to a different axis on the network (EtherCAT)
|Motion Programming and Debugging
- Native 'C' Programming, running on target. Compiling and debugging. Supplied with the PLCopen Motion Library API.
- Full IEC 61131-3 with the PLCopen Motion Library extension using Elmo's IDE.
The following languages are supported:
- Structured text (ST): textual
- Function block diagram (FBD): graphical
- Ladder diagram (LD): graphical
- Sequential function chart (SFC) has elements to organize programs for sequential and parallel control
|Programming Execution Time, Threads, and I/O Layer Synchronization
- Minimal thread resolution timing: 1 ms
- Number of program execution threads: 10
- Typical programming execution time (IEC): 10 µs per command
- 'C' code programming: Running as native code on the target CPU
- I/O layer synchronization timing linked to the master controller sync time (EtherCAT/CAN). I/O level synchronization deterministic over control cycles
- Ethernet:1 port, Standard Ethernet, 10/100 Mbps, automatically detected
- USB: 1 port, USB 2.0, 12 Mbps
- RS-232 can be supported in an embedded configuration
- Device Networks
- EtherCAT: 2 EtherCAT master ports, with redundancy support
- CAN: CANopen master port
- Ethernet, TCP-IP/UDP for operational modes
- Telnet/FTP/HTTP communication for setup and configuration
- USB: Using binary protocol (maintenance). Application level: Ethernet-IP/Modbus
- Device Network
- CoE/EoE/FoE, supports distributed clock master
- CAN: CANopen device profiles, e.g. DS 301, DS2305, DS 401 (I/O Device Profile), DS 402
|Host and Internal Software Interface
- TCP/IP and UDP interface from the host computer. A software library provides a convenient TCP/IP or UDP communications interface.
- Future versions will support Ethernet/IP and Modbus over TCP/IP.
- Internal software libraries, for 'C' user programmes are provided, to write user code running on the Gold Maestro's target processor (native mode).
|Miscellaneous and Special Features
- Data recording (4 MB); up to 32 vectors can be recorded simultaneously.
- Supporting over 10 triggering options and real-time scope capabilities.
- Very fast data upload/download support via Ethernet link.
- Firmware update support (Gold Maestro and drives).
- Support for asynchronous operations with end-of-operation notification; eliminates need to constantly poll System status for some operations.
- Axis parameter files.
- Drive communication bridge support.
- Support for mapped PDOs.
- Supports full communications with any specific drive (CAN and EtherCAT) for purposes of basic tuning or configuration at the drive level (i.e., no need for direct communication with the drive).
- Provides spatial position-based pulse generation, required for generation of along-the-path events in 3D scanning systems.
- When used with Gold Line servo drives, can support single axis and spatially-enhanced position-based "compare" functions to trigger output signals, accurate to 1 encoder count along the trajectory path.
- Network encoders: Supports master-based motion on network encoders.
- Position error mapping: Supports 1D, 2D and 3D position-based error mapping compensation.
- System boot-up time: <30 sec
- Uses internal built-in-test (BIT) procedures to ensure system integrity on each power-up.
- The Gold Maestro is a fully networked controller. All I/O interfaces are carried out via the device network.
|Processor and Memory
- CPU: PowerPC 333 MHz, with double precision floating point supported by hardware.
- Flash: 32 MB
- RAM: 64 MB DDR2 333 MHz
- Gold-Maestro01: 14 ~ 96 VDC
- Gold-Maestro02: 20 ~ 196 VDC
For any further details and information, please contact our sales team at (+44) 01202 599922 or via email email@example.com